Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Dead of Winter - PJ Parrish - Four *

Chilling Crime
Review by The Mole

This book is out of style to my normal reading, but increasingly I am trying something new. From the very beginning I found this to be a compelling read and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, there were times I wanted to say to the 'hero' - Louis - that I had seen something at least a chapter ago and why was he being slow BUT it didn't detract from my enjoyment. We got to the obligatory love scene and I wondered why he bothered - for the publisher? - but later it takes on more significance.

If I coldly analysed the hero he is one of the cleverest and thickest and most compassionate and heartless people you could wish to meet. Yes there are flaws in the main character, but none the less I come back to the fact that I found the book compelling and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you want a clever 'whodunnit' then maybe this isn't for you. If you want blood and violence that curls your teeth then maybe this is not for you although there is a reasonable body count. If you want to enjoy a compelling read then I would strongly recommend this book.

Publisher - Pocket Books
Genre - Adult, Crime, Thriller


Buy Dead of Winter from Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Well, thank you, Mole. A thoughtful review is always appreciated. I agree with everything you said about my hero -- that's the way he was meant to be.
    Best,
    PJ Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella, I think it is I who should be thanking you! I really did enjoy reading the book, but I think and hope that is obvious and the thanks should be for the entertainment I received during the reading.

    Gerry (The Mole)

    ReplyDelete