Pages

Sunday 11 March 2012

Shadow Prowler by Alexey Pehov

A Fantasy For Me
Review by The Mole

Harold, a thief, is framed into stealing an object to test him before being recruited, against his will, to the most dangerous burglary he could ever undertake in his life. He has to steal the Rainbow Horn to save the kingdom from orcs and demons and the Nameless One. We meet his colourful comrades for this undertaking, a band of Wild Hearts - men, gnomes, dwarfs and goblins - along with elves. They set out to retrieve the horn, but only after Harold has his own adventures in preparing for the mission.

I looked forward to reading this as my first adult sci-fi fantasy in many years excepting comedy fantasy. I must say I was not disappointed. Early on in the reading it reminded me of Pratchett and later of Tolkien but these similarities are unfair to draw, as the overall story is an original. The writer is Russian and it has been translated into English, perhaps not perfectly, but well enough to still allow the reader to become fully immersed in the story.

Any one who likes fantasy has got to like this book and enjoy the story. If you find similarity to other books then look beyond them to the story and enjoy it - there is much to enjoy. Thoroughly recommended!

Publisher - Simon & Schuster
Genre - Adult Fantasy



Buy Shadow Prowler (The Chronicles of Siala) from Amazon

1 comment:

  1. I've just started this, and I love it. The voice sucks me in, there's a richness of detail...ok I'll go save it for my own review :)

    ReplyDelete