Pages

Monday 22 November 2010

Horribly Famous: Da Vinci and His Super Brain by Michael Cox

Horribly Good
Review by TheMole

I knew Da Vinci had a reputation for being a bit clever but having read this book, done in the style of the Horrible Histories, it managed to tell me how little I knew about the chap! I knew he had penned ideas for helicopters and man-powered flying machines but was totally unaware that he had designed dimmable table lamps and toilet seats.

Of course we all know Da Vinci as a painter and inventer but he also was a sculptor and engineer of works for the city of Milan amongst other things.

All this information, and much more, is presented in easily accessible text and cartoon form in a way that makes learning fun, as it should be.

Before this book I had only been aware of the 'Horrible Histories' books which my daughter (now 13) avidly collected a few years ago. Tonight at bedtime she admitted to me that sometimes she only read the cartoons! Well they are humorous illustrations and still carry a lot of information within them.

The book does, if you read the text, teach you how to paint and sculpt in the same style as Da Vinci so I am off now to get get filthy rich and famous.

TheMole's review - 4 stars
Publisher - Scholastic
Genre - Children's Non-Fiction

 

Buy Da Vinci and his Super-brain (Horribly Famous) from Amazon

2 comments:

  1. pooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is certainly a comment in keeping with the Horrible Histories books! Thank you Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete