Pages

Friday 4 March 2011

Excuse Me, I'm Trying To Read by Lehla Eldridge and Jo Amani

Excuse me, I'm trying to write!
Review by TheMole

As a parent of young children I was always on the lookout for books to read along with my children. This is very much such a book. Inspired by a trip to Mozambique and set in Africa the book sees 'me' - a little girl - trying to read her book in various scenarios. On each page we see her being troubled by a different animal species and in a different landscape. The print is large enough for young readers (although the lower case 'a' is not the one I would ideally choose) but each picture gives plenty for a co-reader to talk about with the young one. The colours are soft and easy on the eye and the animals unmistakable. A really lovely early reader or shared reader - which I think is a very valuable tool to help encourage children to realise that reading is something we can all do and enjoy. The book is described as ages 3-8 but having read to mine since they were but a week old this book suits such a use, as the rhythm of the phrase "Excuse me, I'm trying to read" repeats itself on each page.

Publisher Warthog Books
Genre Children's early reader

Buy Excuse Me, I'm Trying To Read from the publisher

2 comments:

  1. I think my little boy would love this - will see if my library have a copy to try out on him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a very newly published book I'm afraid it's not likely to be available in libraries for a few more months at least. But I am sure you're right - he would love it.

    ReplyDelete