Pages

Friday 23 January 2015

Unthology 6 edited by Ashley Stokes and Robin Jones

Review by The Mole

Let's admit it... I am a fan of short stories and a particular fan of the Unthology series. This, the latest offering, is a slightly different - but still fantastic - collection.

The first story creeped me out a bit but, yes, it was funny when you get past that. The second story contains a paradox which is both funny and thought provoking. The third story had me wondering "why" but understanding at the same time. And so the collection goes on. Funny, sad, thought provoking, creepy (yes, Jonathan Pinnock!) and frequently a combination of all of them.

I don't normally have a favourite but this collection contains one that really did reach me big time... Stalemate by Simon Griffiths - the story of an older man who is still as sharp as a knife but watching all his friends ageing and dying around him. He is befriended by one of the male nurses who still credits him with everything he is and ever was. A brilliant story amongst a collection of other most excellent stories (even Jonathan Pinnocks! I'm not fond of bees).

Yet another truly fabulous collection compiled by these two editors who, for me, don't seem able to put a foot wrong. Many are a coffee time read but some may take a little longer - but you deserve a longer coffee break.

I have read the previous 3 books in the Unthology collection and you can read their reviews here:- Unthology 3, Unthology 4, Unthology 5

Publisher - Unthank Books
Genre - Adult short story anthology

No comments:

Post a Comment